Wednesday, August 28, 2019

It may not be noble but had a guilty pleasure


It may not be noble but had a guilty pleasure

Image result for woman drinking water gif

Back in yesteryear, I had a job at an audiovisual supply store who had brought up an entire line of well used audio-video machines that were in almost all schools and companies. A lot of television parts for major brands too.
Image result for t v parts on sony kv series
Well customers could call in their orders, many were little shops and there was a big warehouse in the back where we could pick the orders when they came in to pick it up.
Image result for t v parts on sony kv seriesImage result for t v parts on sony kv series
There were about 3 of us-at least that I can recall. We’d take orders, most were shipped within the US especially because of the sole supplier of some lines of items, so add in the shipping crew of about 2.
So as with anything, you became somewhat familiar with certain items one would use to fix certain visual or audio sets or machines. I did learn that Television repair-there were basic things that went out (back in the 70’s) so it was a set of resistors and a few other things that were common with most televisions of that era. What I did find out (as today it has accelerated twenty fold in many things  we must have) was the television repair shops made some serious money back then-some smaller shops were more reasonably priced, but the chains-big box stores, by virtue of volume alone made a killing since the big box stores volume and paid a pittance compared to smaller shops.
Image result for t v parts on sony kv series
The owner boss was an odd duck-very wealthy-lived in an upscale area, Hancock Park and you’d see him count and stack hundred dollar bills in a pile, his wife was a real estate agent for the Hancock Part area, so there was a strong stream of income-We always wonder why so much cash, but if you are buying the property and have cash in hand-you get a better handle on controlling the price. Probably correct.
The odd part is he’d walk around picking up paper clips, rubber bands as if the store's success depends upon his picking up the paper clips. If you asked for a raise after being there for at least a year, you’d think you asked him to murder his children. And did his best to make you feel guilty for asking.
In phones sales(not cold calls)but rather customers who needed your product-so some were constant buyers. As time goes on you get to know them-most we cool, but there was this one young lady who just was arrogant and acted like everyone else was a numbskull-just irritating no matter how you tried to be nice, you’d be hit by some odd degrading comments and as a rule of thumb back then the customers was always right or rather the company wanted her money.
A typical day you could get at least 50-100 calls and you had reference books to see what parts we had that was either needed or compatible.
As always with customers, there are a few who tend to be arrogant-pushy and demanding-which is always uncalled for in any situation. Well sometimes fate just brings-synchronicity and when one truly doesn’t want to be noble in a said situation then a scenario like this is possible.
So during an L.A. smoggy hot summer day and I looked up and there was a young lady at the counter-now this was the person who placed orders to be mailed, but in this case it was a rush order for a lot of televisions and this rude-arrogant nasty customer had to come in to pick up the order. Now it was also a case of “I’m so cute “ and you are lucky to talk to me so I would think she would garner few friends unless they were dingleberries or trying to manipulate her.
So as she gets to the counter, the guy that usually works it is about to get up, I tell, relax-I got this one-take a break.
Image result for old office  water coolers photosImage result for a floating stuff paper cup of water photo
So, it could be a guy but was a female in this instance, Their ego was as monstrous as their arrogance. I came to the counter and told her I was ready to pull the items right now. The subservient posture just was eaten up by her. I mentioned how hot it was and she made some snide remark I ignored and asked her if she would like a cup of cold water from the water cooler, while she waited? And so ate up the attention, so I told her I'll go get the water and then get her order pulled and checked. I went back in the inventory warehouse and found the water cooler and got a paper cup out, they were bigger than the tiny dixie cups, i'd imagine because they got a deal. Poured the water and being next to the restrooms, i shot into the men's room.
Genpak Paper Drinking Cups - GNPW450F
 Found a stall, no one was in the men's room. Closed the stall door dropped my pants and dipped my testicles into the water, it was cold for about 30 seconds, pick out a pubic hair, pulled up my pants and headed out the men's room back to the counter. I got up to the counter and handed her the water.
Image result for woman drinking water gif
She took the water, without a thank you and took a gulp then another and then finished it. I told her I hoped it helped in the heart. She actually said it was refreshing. I told I'd go check on her order (i had given it to a guy in shipping and he pulled it for me. Left for the warehouse and got her order. I went back to the counter and showed her the items and she then gave me a purchase order number. As I handed her her parts in a bag, I asked her if she'd like some water for the drive. Surprisingly no quips, just said yes. So back to the water cooler, got the water my stop in the men's room and back up to the counter. I handed her the cup of water and she took a sip, not a thank you and left with the parts and my cool water.
Now by any means, it was not noble, but in our youth and impulsiveness and our slices of crazy, we do things that while not high on the class chart, just right to ease out a long period of being abused and treated like shit and oh wait there's a phone call for an order.....

No comments:

Post a Comment